The history of Castle Rock, Colorado was established in 1874, white settlers were drawn to the area resulting in the creation of the Homestead Act of 1862. This act made land available near Castle Rock and its surrounding region available, which was believed to be rich in gold. The 19th-century cowboy town was home to only a few buildings that were made available for miners, workers, and farm hands.
More History of Castle Rock, CO
In 1874, Castle Rock became home to the Douglas County government when county lines were redrawn and Castle Rock wound up right in the center of the county. Six main streets were established in the center of town around the Douglas County courthouse named Elbert, Jerry, Wilcox, Perry, Castle, and Front. Castle Rock is now the largest town in Douglas County.
The early 1900’s brought a train depot and a heightened focus on rhyolite extraction.
Rhyolite quarries were drawing people from all over the world to small town Castle Rock, and the train depot brought Denver and the Rio Grande railway to the area. Rhyolite is a stone that is used for building exteriors. It is found on many buildings in old town Castle Rock.
The population of the town began at an establishment with 80 people and has grown to more than 55,000 people. The surrounding area (unaffiliated Castle Rock) recorded more than 77,000 people in 2014. Castle Rock has continued to grow throughout the years while keeping its historical small town charm. Many original landmarks still remain and the family friendly town of Castle Rock welcomes visitor’s year round.
Castle Rock is in a period of growth that’s happening fast and hard, developing inwards and outwards at every turn. As The Promenade comes to town, the Castle Pines development begins to grow, and more people from across the nation move into Castle Rock, it’s only a matter of time before memories of the old Castle Rock make way for new ones.
Douglas County Real Estate is proud of the history of Castle Rock and proud to be a part of it.